November 1 & 2, 2017 11am - 6pm
Located at the Triton Store (209 Millennium Student Center)
What do graduates do at the Graduation Kick-Off
- Purchase and pick-up your cap and gown*.
- Order announcements, thank you, and personal notes.
- Look at class rings.
*You can buy your commencement attire after November 2nd, however a $10 surcharge will be added to caps and gowns purchased AFTER Friday, December 1st.
- Bachelor's - cap, gown, tassel - $38.98 plus tax
- Master's - cap, gown, tassel - $40.98 plus tax
- Master's - hood only - $26.99 plus tax
- PhD* or EdD*- cap, gown, tassel - $31.99 plus tax
- Doctoral hood* - $31.99 plus tax (optometry only)
- Tassel only with custom charm - $8.99 plus tax
*This item is rented, not purchased
NOTE: If you plan to participate in the ceremony and have your own cap and gown (not purchased thorugh the Triton Store) YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A TASSEL at the Triton Store. This officially "registers" you for the ceremony and reserves a seat for you.
Tips for Commencement Attire
- For longer hairstyles bring bobby pins to secure cap.
- Gowns should be worn with a more formal attire. Business casual dress or a collared shirt and tie.
- Tall heels are not recommended.
- All decorations must lie flat on the mortarboard. Nothing should hang over the edge and nothing should be on the skull-cap portion of the cap.
- The university reserves the right to require you to wear a different cap or to remove any embellishment deemed inappropriate by authorized university officials before you are permitted to participate in the ceremony.
- Undergraduates who have earned Latin Honors (i.e. cum laude) will receive a special tassel from the academic advisor in the robing room. Only your honors tassel should be worn during the ceremony.
- Pierre Laclede Honors College graduates will receive special honors cords from the Honors College office.
- Students who belong to academic honor societies recognized by UMSL may wear that organization's honor cords or pins (at the student's expense.)
- If you do not participate in commencement, no honors tassel will be given.
Special Information For Doctoral Candidates
- Candidates for the degrees PhD, EdD, DNP and OD will rent, rather than purchase their cap and gown. Measurements will be taken at the Grad Kick-off in the Triton Store.
- Doctoral hoods will be presented at the ceremonies.
- OD hoods will be rented- graduates will not keep them.
- Attire not picked up from the Triton Store will be available THE DAY OF COMMENCEMENT in the Faculty Robing Room.
- Triton Store 314-516-5763 or 314-516-5765.
- Concerning your eligibility to graduate - contact your academic advisor or the Dean's Office.
- General questions. Re-read these instructions.
- If you still have a question, call the Office of University Events, 314-516-5442.