ARRIVAL & ASSEMBLY
Rehearsal is not necessary for these ceremonies as you will be guided the entire time by UMSL Staff and Faculty.
Plan to arrive at the Mark Twain Building at least 45 minutes before the official ceremony start time to allow for the assembly process. Building opens 60 minutes before each ceremony. Upon arrival, follow this procedure:
ROBING AND ASSEMBLY
Mark Twain Building
- Candidates report 45-60 minutes before the start of the ceremony
- Upon checking in, your academic advisers will make sure that each candidate has a name/walking card which you will carry with you to the stage.
- Room 221 - Bachelor's candidates
- Room 218 - Master's candidates and Ed. Specialist candidates
- Room 219 - Doctoral candidates (with the faculty)
- Room 220 - Coat Check (recommended that you do not bring valuables with you)
- Follow directions to the track downstairs and follow the signage on the wall marking your degree and number on your name/walking card and remain there. This lines you up for the procession.
- Staff members will help organize you by number. All candidates should be lined up and ready for the procession 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Bathrooms are available on that level in the locker rooms. No guests are allowed on the track.
- Approximately 10 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony your academic adviser will lead you to the gym.
- Bachelor and master candidates will be led to their assigned seats by aisle marshals. Doctoral candidates will process with the faculty led by the faculty aisle marshal to assigned seating.
ORDER OF CEREMONY
- Singing of the National Anthem
- Welcome and introductions
- Conferring of honorary degrees (if awarded)
- Speaker (if presenting)
- Conferring of academic degrees
- At the appropriate time in the ceremony, the aisle marshals will direct each row of candidates across the stage to receive their diploma folder
- Candidates return to their seats after crossing the stage and remain there until the recession
- Alumni greetings
- Singing of the "Alma Mater"
- Candidates recess in order as directed by the aisle marshals
- The actual diploma will be mailed 6-8 weeks after the ceremony, when grades have been computed and each candidate's eligibility for graduation is confirmed.
- Grad Images will be taking three photos of each graduate: 1. Close-up head shot; 2. Shaking hands with the Chancellor; 3. Diploma/flag shot. Proofs will be mailed to you within a week, and you may order photos at that time. If you don´t receive your proofs, please call this toll-free number 1-800-261-2576.
- Pre-register with Grad Images for your photos by clicking here and entering University of Missouri–St. Louis.